ENERGY STAR® for New Homes Initiative
ENERGY STAR® is the symbol that is widely recognized as a highly energy efficient home. Some points to reinforce the importance of an ENERGY STAR® certification:
- 9/10 buyers consider the energy efficiency of a home to be important.
- The brand recognition of ENERGY STAR® is very strong. Visual awareness of the brand is approximately 90% across Canada.
- ENERGY STAR® qualified homes are proven to sell up to 89 days faster compared to similar conventional homes.
- Certified ENERGY STAR® homes sell for $2.99 more per square foot than similar uncertified homes.
- Over 25% of new homes in the United States are ENERGY STAR® certified.
In many situations, homes are already meeting nearly all of the requirements for an ENERGY STAR® certification. The return on your investment by having an energy advisor complete a certification is exponential when considering home market value.
What is an ENERGY STAR® home?
ENERGY STAR® certified homes meet the standards of energy efficiency
- The home must satisfy the EnerGuide 81 requirements
- Higher insulation values for walls, ceilings and home foundation
- A rating of 2.5 ACH (air changes per hour)
- Heat Recovery Ventilator (HRV) that is either ENERGY STAR® or Home Ventilating Institute (HVI) certified
- The home must feature the following ENERGY STAR® certified appliances and fixtures:
- Heating system
- Hot water tank
- Bath fans + kitchen range hood fan
- Windows and doors (USI 1.6 Lower Mainland, USI 1.4 Whistler)
- 400 KWh/yr of electrical savings including ENERGY STAR® qualified:
– Lighting (LED)
-Appliances (dish washer, refrigerator, freezer, clothes washer)
-Ventilation (bath and kitchen exhaust fans)
A $2000 rebate for home energy improvements to achieve an ENERGY STAR® designation is available from Fortis BC. Browse our resources to learn more about this savings opportunity.
The ENERGY STAR® name and the ENERGY STAR® symbol are registered trademarks of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and are used with permission